My Travel Path

My Travel Path

Saturday, August 3, 2013

July 27 - Aug 2 - Cartagena, Colombia 2

July 27 - Aug 2 - Cartagena, Colombia

The last week has been bittersweet.  I have really grown to love the city of Cartagena.  I made one last trip to beach, ate one last epic street burger and drank one last beer in the Plaza del Trinidad.  This week as also been a bit of a breakthrough with my spanish.  Though I still have trouble understanding a lot of what people are saying especially if they arent talking to me directly or if they are talking really fast, I can now carry on a slow (and laughter filled) conversation. Words come to me much easier now...I think its a good time to get out and practice.  I still have a long way to go but it should be fun.






The hostel organized a lil BBQ for my last night in town.  The Mama Waldy Hostel has been a fantastic place to spend my time in Cartagena.  The family that runs the place is warm and welcoming and even the volunteers they have helping out are fantastic.  And even though I speak very little spanish and some of them very little to no english they made me feel welcomed and encouraged me to practice my spanish with them.  We all got a lot of laughs outta that. :-)  I would recommend this place to anyone visiting the area.


The hostel:





 Around the hostel: all the walls on this street are covered in awesome street art.









Yesterday was the last day of class.  It was a fun day and we ended the lesson by playing Spanish pictionary!  It was a bit sad to say bye to some of the folks that I had spent the past 4 weeks with.  I'd say they will be people that I will always remember.  Carlos (Charles from Canada), Tony (from Switzerland), and Jennie (from England) are some of the people I spent most of my time with.  Eating out, eating street food, hanging out at the plaza and practicing our newly acquired Spanish.  We joked that to a native speaker it had to be hilarious to listen to us foreigners speak horrible Spanish to each other. Big thanks to Andres for being a great teacher of all of us!



After class and lots of hugs and goodbyes I headed to the city bus stop.  

No comments:

Post a Comment